Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Just Because I Can...............

I was raised among a family of gardeners, descended from folks who gardened  because they had to, just to survive. Fortunately this rubbed off on me, and I never let a season go by without planting at least a few food and fiber crops. I have had good luck this year with my natrurally green-colored cotton, as well as a new variety (for me) a variety of Hopi white, short staple cotton that takes only 100 days to mature! This is huge for those who would like to grow cotton in northern climates, and I am willing to share seed with anyone, anywhere the cottton seeds can be legally sent. Some states have major restrictions on the shipment of cotton seeds, and for some very good reasons. I have never had a pest problem with any of my cotton, and I do grow organically.

For more eye candy and a fantastic dryland gardening catalog, check out this pdf from Native Seeds/Search:

http://www.nativeseeds.org/pdf/seedlistingcatalog.pdf






For anyone who does not have room for a garden, not even a patio, balcony, or lanai, here is the book for you! I bought this book soon after it came out, when I was just a nerdy 12 year old kid. This book has had a place in my home ever since, through various moves and upheavals. You can still pick it up for just a couple bucks on Amazon. This book will take you through all the pleasures and perils of saving bits of your dinner to literally create a lush, tropical garden, all on a windowsill!





The After-Dinner Gardening Book

1 comment:

  1. Would love to see the colored cotton - will there be pictures?

    ReplyDelete